NMU have released advice to secure cargo and keep it safe while in transit. These tips should be followed in order to keep your cargo as safe as possible.
1. Know where your shipment is – Know where it should be at any given time, when it is stationary and when it is being transferred between carriers. Note when it will arrive at the final destination, and if it fails to arrive start asking questions immediately.
2. Know who is handling your shipment – Do not accept any sub-contracting without knowing that security standards will be unaffected.
3. Set minimum security standards – Document minimum security standards expected from each approved carrier. Make them sign off to your requirements and make sure that they understand that they will be held responsible for any deviations from your standards without your written agreement.
4. Visit your carriers – Inspect third party storage facilities and ensure that warehouse keepers have adequate and current liability insurance in place.
5. Know your own staff – Make sure that background checks are undertaken, follow up references from previous employers and look for unexplained gaps in employment.
6. Keep shipping documents secure – Ensure that access to your computer network is secure from cyber crime. Be aware that organised cargo criminals will seek inside help when planning an attack on your cargo.
7. Enhance security for high-value and theft-attractive goods – Provide enhanced security for high-value and theft-attractive consignments such as high-tech, electronic and computer equipment, high fashion branded clothing, wines and spirits, high value metals, fragrances, sports equipment and clothing to name but a few.
8. Never advertise high value shipments – Use discreet packaging and avoid brand names and logos.
9. Demonstrate that losses are taken seriously – Follow up on the cause of any losses and look for any trends. Ensure that a thorough investigation is carried out and that immediate countermeasures are put in place. Look for similar weaknesses throughout the supply chain before similar losses occur. Have a documented claims handling procedure and ensure that claims are reported without delay.
Our specialists are on hand to help you with any of your queries about securing your cargo. Call us today on 01245 449060 to find out more.