As we head towards winter, it can conjure the spectre of cold and wet weather that at best makes a walk to the shops a misery and at worst can wreak costly havoc on your home.
Cold weather can be a challenge for owners of older and larger properties. So what simple steps can you take to keep your homes and vehicles safe?
• Steps should be taken to make sure that water pipes don’t freeze – especially outdoor pipes. If any external pipes aren’t used in the winter, their water supply should be switched off to reduce the risk of them cracking or bursting
• Make sure that all roofs are watertight and weatherproof in the main home, garages and outbuildings.
• Items such as garden furniture and trampolines should be put away into secure storage.
If you are going away over the Christmas period, you need to protect your property.
• Secure your home with a suitable alarm system.
• Trusted friends or family should regularly check on the property.
• Heating boilers need to have been regularly serviced and kept on a low setting during extended periods of time away from the home.
• Check there aren’t any leaking radiators. If there are, they need to be fixed before they go away.
If you are going away for an extended period, make sure your policy covers you for the duration of their holiday. Most policies have an unoccupancy restriction meaning that you need to notify the insurer should you be away for more than 30 days for example.
You will also need to keep your vehicles safe and secure.
• If you don’t intend to drive a vehicle over the winter, keep it secure it in a locked garage or an alternative secure facility, with the alarm activated.
• If the vehicle hasn’t been used for some time, checks should be made to ensure it’s mechanically sound, with an in-date MOT and insurance, before driving it again.
• In icy or snowy conditions you need suitable tyres or snow-chains. Make sure you reduce speed in adverse weather conditions.
• When out and about, if you can’t park in a locked, secure facility, park in a well-lit area, ideally somewhere covered by a CCTV camera.
Ascend Broking Group
01245 449 060
Download provided by Aviva